Monday, September 8, 2014

What's in Your Desk Drawer?


(Part of @teachthought 30-day Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenge) more info here.

Day 8: "What's in your desk drawer, and what can you infer from its contents?"


As I looked through my desk drawers on a visit over to school this weekend, I found the typical desk contents that most teachers wouldn't think to write a blog post about.

And then, I found what I was looking for ...... and more.


Let's start with the common, expected, teacher-type desk materials. From this list, I can infer that I'm a fairly organized person with many supplies at hand.

* Paper clips
* Pens
* Markers
* Timer
* Highlighters
* Clips
* Pencils
* Thank You Notes & Envelopes
* Gum
* Lanyard & whistle
* Keys
* Stickers

Then, more importantly, I found what I was looking for: a few folders of papers, cards, photographs, and other items from the last 19 years of teaching.

It's what my principal calls the "Atta-boy" file, or in my case the "Atta-girl" file. The collection of positive moments that help you remember why you're a teacher. The photos that help you piece together a time gone by. The drawings, misspelled notes, and handmade items that you cannot possibly think of throwing away.

I was amazed at what I had forgotten in these 3 folders:

*Photographs & items from when I did my student-teaching at the elementary school I had attended
*Notes and pictures from my first year teaching special education and gifted classes
*Multitudes of pictures ranging from field trips, newspaper clippings, baby showers, bulletin boards, and student picture-day exchanges
*Thank you notes from students and parents
*Coloring pages from my own daughters
*A few examples of my favorite things from when I was in elementary school and realized that I wanted to be a teacher

It's great to look through these memories and remember that the collection of them have made me into the teacher I am today.

"The ABC's of School", a rainbow poem, and my desk nametag from at least 30 years ago

One of my favorite pictures of my daughters from over 10 years ago, and their artwork

Notes from my first year students ('95-'96), and a note from my mom when I finished my Masters in 2012

A picture with a former student at her high school graduation party (2011), and her picture from 4th grade.




1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! Have one of these for my girls but never thought about an "atta-girl" file for me - sure would be a nice pick-me-up on a down day!

    ReplyDelete