Sunday, September 14, 2014

Feedback for Learning

(Part of @teachthought 30-day Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenge) more info here.

Day 14: "What is feedback for learning, and how well do you give it to students?"

Feedback for learning is a response (either verbal or written) to students to help them understand if they are on the right track with their learning.

"OK" was the feedback from my teacher after spending hours on a booklet
of "ABC's of School" rhyming phrases. I kept this for years because I knew
it was much more than just "OK."


I have been guilty of leaving ineffective feedback at times -- a star, sticker, an "ok," a letter grade, or a score. I guess I would call it busy teacher guilt.

However, there also have been many other times where I have given the best feedback in the form of a mini-conference. Telling the student in person and explaining in detail what they did well and what they could do to improve the skill/task next time. Or even taking the time to explain/reteach and giving them another chance to try it.

Another thing I'm working on this year is having students give feedback to one another through "accountable talk stems" in partner and group work as well as "meaningful comments" with our blog posts.

As I reflect on feedback, I know that it is an area that I could work on by being more specific as well as timely.


This is a great resource and provides many suggestions for giving timely, positive, and effective feedback to students:
http://www.teachthought.com/learning/20-ways-to-provide-effective-feedback-for-learning/


No comments:

Post a Comment