Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Favorite Part of the Day

(Part of @teachthought 30-day Reflective Teaching Blogging Challenge) more info here.

Day 11 Challenge ~ What's your favorite part of the school day, and why?


My favorite part of the day in 4th grade is teacher read-aloud time.

A new favorite read-aloud spot
Teacher read-aloud time is my favorite part of the school day because I love reading and I love sharing it with my students.

It's a chance for us to just BE. To listen, to reflect, to take a journey in a book, and to explore an author's thoughts is what we can do during teacher read-aloud time.

It's an opportunity for me to do think-alouds, point out important things that I notice, introduce new words, and question the students about their thoughts.

Our first chapter book this year is Wonder by R. J. Palacio. The students love this story so far and are very engaged and interested. Our principal walked in this morning just as we were ready to start reading and one of my students did a wonderful job of summarizing the key ideas and theme of the story to our principal, who hadn't heard of the book.  This particular story is also a way for us to spring into action with our Kindness theme this year. We've talked about how to be kind to each other in class as well as spreading the kindness.

I love this time because it allows me to show my love of reading and share important topics through the stories that are shared.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing book! Read aloud is so important. We are trying to read aloud more in 8th grade also for the power of sharing. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete